After reading the post on the poor state of game in parts of Texas and then reflecting a bit on reading some thoughts by Elmer Keith last night I thought it might be time to sat at the keyboard and unleash some thought that have been running circles in my mind of the last twenty or more years.

For the most part I have never been a trophy hunter. This in no way is intended to be any kind of a slam or put down on those who have collected beautiful trophies or have trophy rooms bigger than my barn. I always enjoy seeing the fruits of their hunts and I like to see pictures often posted here as well as view the mounts at places like Cabela's.

But my thoughts wander to looking at the long term effects of hunting for giant heads. When we pass up spikes, forks, and even modest four points to take a monster head are we not taking the best of the genetic pool and leaving the worst?

Before anybody points a finger at me and asks if I have passes on a monster and taken lesser deer I will confess that yes I have. For three years I watched a monster mule deer. Not the writer who posts here but a four legged six point or better real deer. grin I lived in a canyon and so did he. All through the year I watched him from early velvet to glistening mahogany colored glory he wore as head gear. I watch him lay in the afternoon sun against towering basalt palisades taunting me as I sat with a steady rest and looked at him in the crosshairs of my 25-06 from around 200 yards. An easy shot and me with an open tag in my pocket during season. I am sure the porcupines have long ago devoured his bones and I am pretty sure no one ever shot him. It was private land and he had no reason to move on.

Why, because every year he was widening his gene pool all over that ranch.

My wife and I like to feast upon wild game. But rather than take the best of the best I would rather feast on a spike or better yet a fat baron doe or cow.

So what say you? Am I wrong?

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!