Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by cra1948
It all depends on how you want to go. I got a Les Baer Super Varmint. It's out in Missouri, with my son and grandsons now. It is easily the most accurate rifle of any kind I have ever owned. It has worked flawlessly from day one, no tinkering, no tuning, no fixing, fitting or frigging around. If you want one-stop shopping, want to just buy a rifle, take it out of the box and have a super rifle, buy one. You don't have all the options you'd have if you started with a blank sheet of paper but hey, an AR is an AR after all. You can get barrel length, twist, a few other things... If you want a varmint rifle, you're good to go. On the other hand, if you want to be the biggest tactifool at the local range....

OTOH I've built I don't know how many ARs... with GOOD parts... and never had to tweak any of them....they all ran flawlesssy from the first round too.

So there are different ways to do it.

And I would love to do it your way, Jeff, if I had a continuing need for AR's and if I had the time and resources to set myself up with a shop I'd be happy with, and the time to research who makes the best parts for particular purposes...as it is, like a lot of folks, I've got too much going on in my life to devote that kind of time and effort. It's probably more cost effective for me just to tell Les what I want, bite the bullet, and get it. My days of scratch-building rifles (and by scratch-building I mean from bar stock) are over. I miss that work, and I'd really like to get into being an AR mechanic/assembler (as opposed to builder) but life is what it is. And while we're on the topic, I want to thank you, my friend, for all I've learned about AR's, how they run, how to make them work, what works and what doesn't by reading your posts here. For me, you are one of the handful of people posting here who make this site really worth my time.

I TOTALLY see BOTH sides.

Funny part setting up a shop.. I have a small vise in one of the shops I used to do taxidermy in. A couple of reciever blocks and such, and a few wrenches... some punches... I"ve put them together almost in my lap a few times too...They are like leggos really.

The main thing is good parts, and thats for reliability. And IMHO the top thing, the best barrel with concentric chamber IE setup right. Screwing it on a monkey could do right and Im' proof of that.

I have had days and times where I had more money than time... well sort of but you know what i mean...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....