Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Hey Don,,,, My fur buyer doesn't buy Coon and I don't catch many so I give the greasy bastids to a guy over in Kameai but I know that Moscow Fur and Hide will only buy Coon that have been shot ONE time in the head. No holes in the body.
Don't know if that's just him, or maybe a regional thing???? You ever hear of that?

I sold Gary a lot of fur when I lived in the Northwest. He never docked me for more than one bullet hole in a coon's head. The fur on the head is of little value and a second, third or fourth hole won't affect the value of the hide. With that said, they do like to see well cared for fur and multiple bullet holes in the head means more blood on the fur. With a coon that's sold fur side in, it is a little more difficult to see how much blood is in the fur so they may grade a bit closer. Never was a problem for me because I always washed any fur that was even a little bloody.

When fur prices are low, and coon has been low for many years, a lot of buyers will use any excuse to grade lower.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.