Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
And way back before all this newfangled gadgetry, old time buffalo hunters had LR tang sights on their big Sharps and made shots like Billy Dixon at Adobe Walls... grin

DF

That they dialed.... grin

99% of the time I and everyone I shoot with holds for wind. The only time that I don't is either ELR when I've run out of windage in the reticle or I'm dialing some back in to pull me towards the center of the reticle, or if I am shooting a stage at one range but from really unstable positions. The middle is the middle and the more stressed that you are the more that you want to be there.

Checking your turret periodically is apart of carrying a rifle- it's apart of the shot process. Unless it's a very short range jump shot I always glance at both turrets while setting up the shot. Takes about 0.02 seconds to glance, even though I can't say with any scope featuring turrets designed worth a flip that I've ever had them move. It used to baffle me how people think that this stuff is so hard, or turning a turret is slow, or other such nonsense and then as I went I realized that almost NO ONE knows what shot sequence is or setting up for a shot automatically every time is. It's why you see dudes taking FOREVER to shoot an animal that's standing right in front in them.

As for why there's not more scopes with exposed elevation turrets and capped windage turrets, the main reason is that hunters have no idea what they want or need. Most live in such a myopic environment that they believe that because what they are doing has "worked" that it's the best way. Really it may just be that what they are doing hasn't failed so spectacularly that they are forced to find a better way, and there is a HUGE difference between the two. Most of the time we are victims of not knowing what we don't know.

Another reason, and this is purely a guess, is that having different turrets makes for a bit more work in the manufacturing process and unless the companies get hammered for it, they're not going to spend more for features that aren't being asked for.

form you have this unique way of disagreeing but at the same time agreeing with pretty much everything most people are saying. only a couple times have I seen my NF turret move, once was when for some reason the jamb nut was loose for some reason. you are right this should be checked but frankly I would rather not worry about it. besides it could be designed in such a way that if you are wanting to dial for windage you can just unscrew the cap.

the nice thing about a covered windage turret is the thing could make the scope more compact. I don't even see why the tactical community would also see value in a covered windage turret