My first 12 years of deer hunting were in the UP, near Gwinn and the surrounding area. As others have said, you wont see many deer but the deer tend to be heavier, and mature bucks can be HUGE. I good friend had a camp near Foster City/ Felch. Every few years someone in their camp would connect with a very nice buck.

As said before Grouse can be plentiful and it pays to have a dog. Also as others have said this area of the UP does not get the heavy snow cover that the Lake Superior shoreline and is generally referred to as the "Banana Belt". The turkey hunting in the lower half of the UP can be pretty good as well. Trophy brook trout still exist for those that work hard or are just damn lucky.

We make our annual trips to the UP and I make it a point to either wet a line or get out for a walk in the woods each time. It is amazing county with amazing people. Buy yourself an Stormy Kromer, learn to like pastys, Cudighi sausage, and Trenary Toast and you will fit in just fine.

You have been blessed to have been called to a congregation in the UP, and you will soon understand why Yoopers are pretty serious when they refer to it as "God's Country".

Congratulations.

Last edited by inland44; 11/03/14.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady