Originally Posted by rost495
Whatever is in the gun.

That plus an MTM of some kind, generally 20 rounder, maybe maybe not full...goes in the pack.

Never had a need to fire more than whats in the gun. But will carry the extra always due to follow up wounded deer possibilities at some point, sometimes those can burn up ammo taking any shot that presents regardless of percentage of hit chances.

For the longest time I was so doggone proud of making a string of one-shot, instant kills that I got my nose pretty high up in the air and would only take what was in the rifle magazine. Even considered just taking one round. Yeah, that high up in the air...

Reality hit one day when I made a bad shot on a deer. Slapped that bullet right into the guts I did. Dang. Deer finally stopped running about 60 yards farther out, and I put another into it, into the lungs. Danged thing fell but didn't die. I ended up shooting it twice more just to finish things. Rifle empty at that point, I learned a lesson. Nose isn't so far up in the air anymore. It was a humbling experience after all those one-shot instant kills. Now I take some extra cartridges in case I mess up and create another goat rope.

And of course I keep working on my marksmanship, which is indeed still pretty good. Yeah, still impressed with my own shooting, but humble enough to know I'm not perfect!

Guy