IMHO I honestly believe that the reason long range hunting gets negative feedback is because it's referred to as "long range hunting". Why have a seperate designation and product lines and tv shows named after it. I have no problem with hunters shooting animals at whatever range they are comfortable and competent to shoot at. The distinction between "hunting" and "LR hunting" makes people assume that the goal is to shoot animals as far away as possible without attempting to close the distance and a lot of people find that unethical. This year I've done a lot of practice to extend my comfortable shooting distance but I still just refer to myself as a hunter and I'll always close the gap as much as possible. I've only watched a couple of LR hunting shows and they didn't do much to help with that reputation. There was no attempt to close the distance, the goal was clearly to try and kill animals at very long ranges and that's the way it was marketed. So the whole thing comes across as long range target practice on living targets even though that's not always the case.