I think the term "long range hunting" is a bit of an oxymoron because it sort of implies that you would not shoot an animal at short range. It implies the hunter is handicapping themselves and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It is difficult to attend the Icebreaker shoot and leave, saying people should not shoot at long range. Reason being is that steel from 1,000yds in, get the ever living schit shot out of it all day, everyday, and that is while shooting very far from ideal conditions and includes a fairly diverse group of shooters and equipment on the firing line.

I shoot at a public range almost exclusively and typically shoot 3 days a week. I enjoy shooting at a public range because it often makes me the center of attention and I also talk a lot. It is pretty rare to meet a shooter that will consistently hit steel past the 300. And I would say one out of 10 shooters connects at the 300 and below 100% of the time. I'm not trying to sound like a snob, but that is what I have observed in a fairly gun savvy community.

I have had a number of shooters ask about my rifle and equipment after they hear the steel consistently ring a few long seconds after I fire. They rarely listen to a single fugging thing I say and basically tune out once they figure out they cannot buy the entire package at Big R.

I am also frequently asked why I don't use a wind gauge. When I explain it does no good due to the wind shifting direction three times (wind is brutal at our range as the targets lay at the bottom of a coulee) people typically look at me as though I'm a moron. Which could be true, but so is what I tell them about the wind.

At the end of the day, shooting long range makes you a better shooter. Period. The better you are, the better you are. Period.

I don't mean to sound like a prick but the vast majority of shooters and hunters I meet are morons. And I mean, really fugging stupid. Both ethically, fiscally, physically, mentally, etc. When you get really stupid people trying to shoot animals far away, bad things happen. But guess what? When you try to get really stupid people to shoot anything at any distance, really bad things happen. If you doubt this, go check out youtube for an hour or two.

At the end of the day, they still make Budweiser and that is all that really matters.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house