Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have an '08 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins and 6-spd. My clutch is going out at only 80k. I've talked with several shops and the best price locally is $1300 at AAMCO. This truck, and apparently Ford from what he tells me, uses a double flywheel setup that's prone to failure. AAMCO has a kit that converts it to the old reliable single flywheel. He says it's more reliable and cheaper, too, so that's the way I'm going. Isn't high tech wonderful?

I have the same truck as you, and I now have a clutch in it that I like. I went through the stock clutch towing trailers within the first 50,000miles (I'm at about 165,000 now) . I was told by 2 different dodge diesel mechanics that the stock clutch would not take the abuse that the stock 6.7 would give it. I upgraded to this : http://www.valairinc.com/performance/24g56.html and then the Street Dual Disk Kit Organic 550hp item NMU70G56DDSN-ORG

It's been a great clutch. Engagement is not too harsh and it is comfortable to drive. It grabs strong and I haven't had a single problem with it since install. I still tow much, and after I passed 100,000 miles I did a DPF delete, EGR delete, added a 4 inch turbo back exhaust, a AFE stage II cold air induction and a smarty programmer. I now abuse the clutch much more than I did at stock power, and with 115,000 miles on it there has been zero issue. They guys at Valair were really helpful and listened to what I was going to be doing with the truck, and made their recommendation on which one to get.

I too was not pleased at all about the crap stock clutch, but I spent just a little more money on the upgrade and I have been really pleased I did.

Things that matter the most should never be at the mercy of things that matter the least.