It was steaming!! And I didn't even have to pop it in my mouth to see how fresh it was grin. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I ran into a group of elk today (about 20 head). Well, not today as it is already Saturday. I snuck up to about 50 yards of some of the stragglers. The bigger critters were already in the thicker stuff, so I didn't know if there were any bulls in the bunch. We had about 11 inches of snow, so tracking was easy and quiet. The straggler cows and calves started to move into the thick stuff, so I checked them all out pretty good and no bulls. I circled out around them and caught sight of more cows and calves. I was on a bull track though and I wondered where the bastid was. I tracked slow and meticulously and ran into them again. This time they were in a place where I could see better. They started to move to the east and I watched one after the other until one small bull came out. He trotted behind the rest of the herd. I was using my 300 wsm today because I wanted to see if the MOA trigger was going to freeze up on the SOB grin. It was a balmy 10 degrees when I pulled the trigger on the blue WSM. It fired without a hitch and the "blemished" 180 gr. Nosler partition did it's job. The bull was quartering away when the bullet landed home. I didn't think there would be much heart left on this bull, and I was right:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When we were done packing the little guy out, this is what the thermometer in my truck said:
[Linked Image]

You guys be safe out there on your hunts and make sure you pack your Winchesters and post some pics... cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA