My wife has had to miss out on hunting this season up until this weekend. She has been coaching highschool volleyball and of course had tournaments and games every weekend. The season is finally over so we loaded the truck up and headed to Choteau for the weekend.

Saturday morning we woke up to -10 degrees and -35 windchill. We arrived at our spot and went to find a good place to sit at day light. Right at shooting time we saw a nice tall buck chase his does over the hill and we never saw him again. We stayed out as long as we could and finally gave in to frozen faces, fingers, and toes after a couple hours. We ran into town and had a quick breakfast and let our boots dry out.

We headed back out around 2:00pm. We pulled up to where we park and glassed the hill side before we got out to walk. My dad spotted a deer and it was the same buck from the morning. He chased his does within a few feet of the bush we sat in earlier. He started in our direction and Dad ranged him. I got Dusti set up with my Tikka 270 win and turned the CDS dial to 440 yards. He stopped chasing does for a second and was broadside. I told Dusti to shoot and heard the crack and watched him collapse in my binos. The 130 gr accubond drilled him through the shoulders and he never moved. All she could talk about was how nervous she was waiting for him to stop chasing. And she mentioned how simple my scope made the shot...so now she wants one on her rifle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He was an old warrior. He had one eye poked out, scars all over his head, and when we skinned him, found bruises and puncture wounds all over him. Now I need to find the buck that beat him up!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.