Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by RGK
Here's a different '06. Before you gag ("OMG, a PUMP rifle!"), let me give you the scoop on this one.

I bought it for $110.00 in the FT Bragg PX years ago on a close-out sale. Because I was assigned to the FT Bragg AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit), I had access to literally a truckload of LC (Lake City) .30-06 168 gr GI match ammo. I shot this rifle almost every day for over 18 months, anywhere from 50 out to 500 meters. It was my only centerfire rifle at the time. I also killed a half-dozen NC whitetails with it, along with a few hogs.

After I left the FT Bragg AMU I sent it back to Remington because I was only getting 3-4" groups after almost 2 years of non-stop shooting. The buttstock was also cracked at the grip in two places and the trigger wasn't always re-setting.

Remington replaced the barrel, rebuilt and tuned my trigger and replaced the buttstock. They thoughtfully glassed the head of the buttstock that joins the receiver, stopping future cracking, and added swivel studs. The safety was also reversed (I'm a lefty).

The scope is a Lyman 4X All-American, one of the last ones made. While my rifle was at Ilion, NY for rebuild, I had Lyman clean, refill and seal my scope. They also put a duplex reticle in it.

Remington customer service sent me a short note while my rifle was being serviced, asking how many rounds had been down the tube. I told them somewhere close to 18,000 rds of jacketed HPBTs, sometimes over 100 rds a day. I was told by them that my 7600 had the customer record for number of rounds fired that they knew of. Incidentally, all the work was free.

I'm careful now with this 2nd barrel. I only shoot 3-shot groups before cooling; no rapid-fire 5-shot strings at 200 meters anymore. It shoots very well with almost anything I put in it, but loves 168 grain LC Match. I have some VERY nice rifles now, but I'll be buried with this one.
Bob

[Linked Image]

I added a Lyman 4X, one of the last ones made. Lyman rebuilt the scope for me after thousands of rounds. I put a new base and rings (Leupold) on after rebuild, replacing the older Weaver rings.
[Linked Image]

Two groups with the 7600 at 100 yds. Not as good as some bolt rifles here, but I'm happy. Top groups is with 168 grain LC Match; bottom is Federal factory 165 grain GameKings. These two loads will do for now. [Linked Image]

Top notch right there!! I just wished they made them in true lefty, like they did with the 870!!!

I loved my 7600 30-06 It was accurate....but kinda' heavy.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless