Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by 4ager
Rates are influenced by population.

Factor in the numbers of vets in both states (we lose 1 vet per hour to suicide), as well as those on reservations and I'm not surprised.

That's part of it. additional factors: cold. dark. the wind blows like a sumbee. expensive to live (heating a house, fueling a car, shipping). lots of small towns. fair number of dropouts, small number of good jobs. outsiders driving up price of real estate in desirable areas. everyone has cable or dish, so they see what they don't have. they feel bad. they wish they graduated high school.

if you have a little jingle, and your [bleep] together, it is a beautiful place.

If you are a little messed up, or behind the 8-ball somehow, it can be a hard row to hoe.

Drugs and alcohol don't help.

Sycamore

p/s lot of irish and scandinavians in the gene pool. not always the cute ones, either!

not that expensive to heat a house....gotta remember our houses are built for it for the most part....thats one thing that floored me about Adelaide, Australia Troy was complaining his house was cold, well no chit it couldnt keep out a popcorn fart, ild go broke trying to heat his house here.....meant to grab some pics of the windows of his house before i left....couldnt believe them....

but its not a chunk of country for everyone....winters are long, even in the spots that dont get as cold as my corner of the state still have to deal with more cold days than warm, our growing season here is bout 90 days, warm part of the state is a maximum of 130 days on a warm year, 100 during a cold....after over 30 winters here im not sure how many more i want to deal with

Last edited by rattler; 11/18/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books