For the cartridge, game and conditions you have now put forth, I would say the 120gr TTSX is an easy first choice. The second best bullet is waaaaaayyyy behind it.

You can start the 120 TTSX at some lazer flat speeds, and it will out penetrate a 150gr Partition or any other 150-160gr lead core bullet with the possible exception of the bonded core 150-160's. But the extra poop of those bullets - which will recoil harder and cannot be driven to the same speeds - is simply not needed for the game and distances you have mentioned.

My dads 7mm RemMag (which is really not much faster than a properly loaded 280AI) blew two holes through a large bodied Roosevelt Elk at 200 yards, did well in Africa, and my brother in laws 7mm RemMag accounted well for a black bear recently and a large bodied Mule Deer buck at 608 yards. Complete penetration in all cases.

Great penetration and killing power, flat trajectory, low recoil and usually these bullets are quite accurate in almost all hunting rifles. What more could you ask for?

PS Edited to add that I have used them to good effect from my 7mm Mashburn Super, and it pushes them to 3750fps. Another member here just PM'ede me about using them in his 7mmSTW and running them at almost 4000fps. Lots and lots of hunters have killed every kind of critter including Alaska Moose (I think Big Stick put that photo up here a couple of years ago) with that combination. Running it from the better and faster 280AI tells me that this combo is all you need if your rifle shoots them well.

If you try them. Remember to seat the bullets off of the lands and grooves some. Barnes reccomends .050 off, and I have loaded buckets full with just using the top relief groove as a cannelure and lightly crimping the case into that with terrific results 90% of the time or better.

Yeah, I have bought and loaded and uses a LOT of these Barnes 120gr TTSX's. they are almost a perfect do it all bullet for anything in .284 diameter until the range gets beyond 500 yards or so. That is, in MY experience and opinion. Good luck and good hunting! MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500