Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I'll also say that every 94 or 336 I ever shot was a really good shooter. I've got a post 64 Ted Williams that is the ugliest gun ever made and has all the stamped lifters and roll pins that the purists hate. But that ugly thing will shoot 2 inches all day everyday with a Williams receiver sight.
The post-64's were good rifles, just ugly. The stamped shell riser was actually an improvement to the design, but people hated it because it looked cheap (and it did). But shell risers often break on Winchester 94's, I've replaced more than a couple. But I've never replaced a broken stamped shell riser because the stamped design was lighter and stronger...but it did look cheap.
Funny, I never had to replace a broken machined lifter but did have to adjust/straighten a couple of the bent stamped sheet steel lifters.The 64-68 Winchesters were junk. Black chrome plated cast iron receivers that looked like hell and got worse when they started to flake, stamped lifters and those lovely, stained, stud grade birch stocks. No thanks. In 69 Winchester started correcting it's offenses to the 94. By the mid 70's they were back to where they really weren't too bad but they were never to be nearly as well made as the pre 64's again.