Wilderness Blacktail,

Seems like the responses so far have pretty much covered the spectrum.

My wife and I have always had great luck in the .250 with 100-grain bullets that expand pretty easily at typical velocities of 2800 fps or so. Have had good luck with the Speer Hot-Cor and Nosler Partition. While we have also used the 115 Partition a little (and it worked fine), like dennisinaz has experienced, the 100-grain Partition penetrates great and seems to kill quicker at .250 velocities. In fact the 100 Partition seems to penetrate just as deeply as the 100-grain TSX, and we've killed plenty of animals with both bullets.

I haven't been as impressed with "harder" bullets in the .250, but that may be because we both tend to shoot animals behind the shoulder, in the lungs. The 100 Hornady Spire Point works quite well at over 3000 fps but seems a little hard to me at .250 velocities. Haven't used the 80 TTSX in the .250 but have used the 100 TSX and TTSX in faster .25's and we definitely prefer the tipped version to the hollow-point, as fast as it can be pushed. So wouldn't be surprised if the 80 TTSX performs well.

But have had such good luck with bullets that fragment at least somewhat at .250 velocities, especially on lung shots, that will probably continue to use them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck