You will notice that 90% of the replies do not answer your question for a revolver in the $450 range. Go back and re-read only the replies that do.
Taurus revolvers are certainly not top of the line. Sort of a cheap man's S&W. However when I was running handgun classes ,I picked up three of them for students. We ran a lot of rounds thru them and the only problem was with one that the rear sight adjustment was screwed up.

Yes I do have K-22. My most favorite rf revolver, but it is not in your price range, so scrap that. Might look for one of those High Standard's Double Nine which were fair revolvers patterned in a single action style, but a double action, or an older H&R. I'd still recommend something with a swing out cylinder that the lad can stuff rounds in fairly quickly and shoot. I have seen to many youngsters get bored with ejecting one round at a time and reloading like a single action requires.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles