Originally Posted by Waders
It will strictly be a target gun--no hunting, no self-defense. There'll also be no formal competing--just plinking.

I'm going to guess the budget is in the $450 range, certainly no more than $500. New or Used, SA or DA, it doesn't matter.

I'm guessing I'll end up recommending a single six convertible, but thought I'd ask here first.
Thanks!

The Single-Six fits your price point, is a quality gun, accurate and will last forever if taken care of. I've had three over many years, you can complain how slow they are to load but with practice you can load them pretty fast.

With that said, I prefer S&W double actions, the Models 17, 18 or 617 would be excellent for a range only gun. I feel they add an additional dimension in that you can learn to shoot double-action. Unfortunately they usually exceed your price limit, Not always though, sometimes a 17 or 18 can be found for around $500. About 3 months ago I (regretfully) passed on a S&W 18 at my dealers in 90% + condition for $500. You don't see them often at that price as unfortunately most sellers look at what the actually collectable ones go for and think their 80 to 90% gun with no box, literature or tools are going for and think theirs is worth the same. Are they worth $500 to $700? go price new revolvers and your question will be answered.

As far as accuracy goes I find that the Single-Six's and S&W revolvers are more accurate than most shooters are capable of... i.e. 1 1/4" to 2" at 20 yards. The key thing regarding rimfires and accuracy though is you have to try different ammo to see what they will shoot well. As far as trying match ammo in them and declaring them inaccurate because they don't shoot it good; I tried that with the match .22LR (UM1) that Federal developed for the olympics thinking that I wanted to see what a couple of my rimfires were Really capable of... guess what they did not shoot it worth a hoot! They shot CCI standard velocity much better at approx. one-sixth the cost.

Regarding Rimfire Ammunition; I know you're a regular here but I'm not sure if you're into rimfires much... have you tried to find any .22 LR in the last year and 10 months? After that nut case shot up the at Sandy Hook Elementary School Rimfire ammunition has been scarce to outright unavailable. So if they are set on getting him a revolver they need to start looking around for .22LR ammo immediately.

Regarding the Bearcat and SP 101; Not fond of the fixed sights on the Bearcat I had, especially the stainless version. Yes you can regulate the sights, but different .22 LR ammo will shoot to diff. POI. The SP 101 I feel is a good gun, the upper end plus of your budget, But the trigger to be kind Sucks (at least on the one I had and the one I now have), And will definitely need a trigger job.

Enjoy the search,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum