Inside the matchbox was a single percussion cap, illegal to possess as muzzle loaders and all they entail are common poachers tools.

Brings back memories. The common firearms where I was in West Africa were crude-looking muzzleloaders, percussion. Two things I regret; not taking a closer look/interest in these things at the time and also not hanging out more at the blacksmith's place in the next village, who IIRC used to repair them among other items. I'm recalling an adobe forge with hand-driven bellows.

Once when staying at a poachers' village out in the sticks they were using Greener 12 bores on Martini Henry Actions, along with relaoded brass shell and round ball ammo. A miner's carbide lantern was worn on the head and most hunting was done at night.

Only saw a break open shogun once, a single-shot, didn't see the brand.

On the topic of dogs, there are a number of accounts of Indians bringing their dogs to war along Lake Champlain in the F&I War and as well as portraits of 18th Century Eastern Woodland Indians accompanied by what appear to be 25-50 pound dogs.

I'd guess it would be very difficult to spring an ambush on someone in the woods who has a trained dog.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744