Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
As I'm sure you know, there's Hispanics all over the southwestern U.S. who were never immigrants.

IME South Texas Hispanics are exceedingly easy for a White guy to live among, South Texas is about the most colorblind place I've ever seen. "Race" here just doesn't seem to be an issue.

Part of their good nature I attribute to the fact that most have been here for at least three or four generations and do NOT identify with Mexico or any causes arising therein. In fact yer average South Texas Hispanic speaks little Spanish and can be spotted by the Dallas Cowboys and San Antonio Spurs decals on their vehicles.

The other part of their good nature I attribute to the fact that they ARE descended from immigrants: If ya go up into New Mexico a whole different kettle of fish. IME Hispanics there got local roots going back to before the US took over, and STILL have a chip on their shoulder about it.

I can walk with my wife in Texas and nobody GAS, up North in New Mexico I'll get hard looks from the local Hispanics, like we is interracial or some such.

Southern California Hispanics OTOH? It was like actually being in Mexico the time I went....

Birdwatcher

lot of truth in what he is saying.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO