Lots of good answers here so far. I'll throw in mine.

I loved deer hunting, but was always having trouble finding a spot to hunt. Finally in 2000, the last landowner that had given me permission died, and I was screwed-- thought about hanging it all up at that point.

In 2001, I managed to find 200 acres in KY and bought it. It made sense for a lot of reasons, but the big one was deer hunting.

Now, the game's totally changed from 2000. It's no longer a matter of hunting whitetail, but it's hunting MY whitetail. The challenge is not killing a deer, it's getting involved with everything surrounding it. I'm now hunting the 4th or 5th generation of deer on the property. It opens up whole other dimensions to the sport.

Would I pay someone to hunt THEIR deer? No, probably not. Granted, what I've got is a bit limiting. I'm kind of stuck with what comes on that 200 acres, but that's the challenge. Based on deer density,etc. I figure there's maybe 1 mature buck on the place at any given time. This year, my buddy got him. Next year? I had a peek at The Big One. He showed up last day of season and caught me in my stand, taking down the skirt. Lordy, what a monster!

This is a spot, God willing, I'll be able to hunt until I can no longer hunt. I will get my grandchildren to hunt here. I will retire here and spend every day out on the porch scouting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer