Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by safariman
I met him at a 24hrcf hog hunt, and we are pretty similar in size. I also have owned and shot a bunch of big bore rifles up through the 50 cal Elephant rounds and shoot a 416 Rigby loaded to 416WBY levels pretty regularly.

(ask Scope Eye 416 how he got his campfire handle wink )

The thin stock with lots of drop at the comb plus the unforgiving steel buttplate makes the recoil of those older lever rifles, with top end loads, a whole different animal from the big bores designed for heavy recoil.

But, we all feel and sense recoil differently and he may be able to fire hundreds of 250gr at 2500fps loads with nary a peep or bruise to show for it.

And, for all of my funnin about them, I would love to get my hands on a shooter grade Model 71 again some day. The model 7600 in 35 Whelen that I bought to fill the empty niche of my 71's is an OK rifle with identical ballistics but is no where NEAR as high a cool factor. And, knowing me, once in my possesion I would once again be throwin 250gr Barnes slugs at around 2500fps again. Just like I do with my lighter weight model 7600.

You've described yourself and posted pics (6'3", 240ish). You're nowhere near Gunner's size and there are damned few men with his strength and power.

Yes, I know you'll be back to regale us all with tales of how you're Hercules incarnate, or were because you got sick, but please do spare us. It isn't necessary. This thread isn't about you, and frankly, few (if any) care.

Not going to claim I am as strong as he. And probably not even on my best day ever. Heck, Gunner500 is one of the guys on here I like and respect the most. Never intended to make the thread about me, just brought up that one CAN make a 348 run 2500fps with a 250, using modern powders. Also, that there is no need to do so. And, that with such loads the recoil is a bit stout. All true.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500