When put that way......you are probably right. There's a lot of great suggestions on here and I'm thinking the ones along this line might be best. After this deer season I will replace the recoil pad and put on detach sling studs (or the originals as one poster said new ones won't fit without being filled) and keep hunting it hard. Now....which recoil pad? Pachmyr?

I really don't care for plastic stocks, even the nice ones, and I'm not afraid to scratch the wood. I've been hunting with the rifle since I was a very young kid and it's been knocked on bunches of trees when being climbed and doors when getting into blinds. I like the way it looks and enjoy the character so I think everyone who said leave it alone is probably right. It's a great rifle I hope to pass on someday.

My question now is really what to do about the sling studs (keep original and have the wood filled or put new quick detach studs on) and what recoil pad to use. I like the original Sako pads and found some online as mentioned but they will just get crushed again as it will be standing up on its butt in my safe.

...post edited for typos.

Last edited by MJSaustin; 12/15/14.