I don't have a problem with oil finishing a pre-Garcia Sako if your are not preserving it as a collector. That said, know that if you strip the stock, you're going to be left with a colorless, cheap piece of timber. These Sakos we're sprayed with a "tinting lacquer" containing "stain" and finish all in one. To oil re-finish, you will need to find someone who understands how to "dye" with water or alcohol based aniline dye (not pigment stain) and then do a soft oil finish on top. Demand to see a sample of this kind of work--it is not commonly understood.

I always hated the cheap perforated pad on my '63 Finnbear--a solid Pachmayr or Silver's style is the ticket. Detachable sling swivels
would be highly desireable.

I'd also stay with blued steel on this rifle--coating would be totally out of character--you can tell I'm not a "factory worshiper"
on the subject of refinishing--but I do like the idea of preserving the original style of these wonderful old rifles--you know--"walnut and blue steel." I'm currently doing the same to a '63 Vixen.