Never owned one, but I have family that treasure them.

The designs were unquestionably cheapened in 64, to please bean counters - which offended a lot of people of conservative values. i.e. if it works, don't mess with it. Prior to that, it was a reliable (if heavy), well made all-American rifle, from America's most famous Gunmaker, and many returning WWII vets sought them out as a matter of national pride, and also because they were a genuinely good rifle. O'Connor and others used them. I know of one .30-06 Featherweight that shoots very well, and supposedly spent time with a mercenary in Africa. I take the story with a grain of salt, but it does shoot well.

Some shot better than others, but most people say they never had one that wasn't decently accurate, or functioned correctly. Some guys point out that the flat bottomed, forged action is easier to bed than a round bar stock action, like a 700.

To me, they are a bit heavy for a deer rifle. I think they hit the sweet spot starting at .300 mag then .338 and .375, where the weight is not a bad thing.

Technically, there are better rifles today, but like the Savage 99, they were interesting and well made, and they aren't making any more of them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."