Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I don't think I've ever heard more than conspicuous jibber jabber and raving of how the "post 64" rifles are junk and the pre-64's are better... so my question is can you list what one should be looking for.. Kind of a hitch-hikers guide if you will.

Can someone cleanly state what parts and processes changed.
OR
The accuracy or other reasons.

So far the only one I remember that was mentioned like that (not that I know this is true)

1) Metal to wood finish "fit" is better on a pre-64?

2) Metal to metal (bolt to action, lug contact, ... ) are tighter ?

3) Blueing is higher quality ?

4) The barrels were made by hot looking Swedish chicks listed in the 223 AI thread.

I was Born in 64 so I want to know....

Lists are meaningless.....I know you want it laid out in print, but you can't have it. smile

Run (shoot and hunt and abuse if you want) 30-40 of them,and 30-40 of anything else you want that came from a factory, comparably priced. Shoot 20-30,000 rounds through them all (a good start). You'll answer your own question. wink

Havent reached those numbers..Took much less to figure out if I wanted CRF to cut to the chase and get a Mauser.If I'm going to perform trick moves (dont act like you dont), I may as well start with the superior action. whistle

I've had a handful come and go,it was kinda like my AR's in 2008, cant believe fools would pay that much for them, and for what,honestly WHY? Cuz it was made in blah blah year, has this and that unchanged, yet you can get an FN or custom MRC for half the price and have more rifle. Nostalgia I suppose,and thats fine but they sure as chit aint better.

I'll keep my old mans pre-64 270. I've read so much about soul and "if they could talk"and such about these rifles, and I've sat quietly while reloading, with my dads rifle stood in the corner, I've never heard the damn thing make a peep.I have pictures of him with the game he's taken with it, but I've seen him hunt with a 700 and 721 just as much, he never claimed mystical powers of the M70..I guess thats why I dont either.

I'm sure i just dont get it tho..