Originally Posted by boatanchor
JS, you are a fuggin azz hole as per always. the OP was talking deer hunting... you are talking sheep hunting. apples and oranges

I have been on about 30 sheep hunts (2 my own) the rest a spotter, guide or guide's assistant. I have packed my 10x42's my 15x56's and my 80 spotter with tripod on every one and felt it necessary.

My point in my last post is that for deer hunting where I was at in Wyoming that some concessions could be made because there is a good chance I will draw the tag again.

With sheep hunting for the most part it is once in a lifetime and you have to make your only time count

buttanchor,

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry my adding a different perspective upset you so much. Please send me the invoice for the Vagisil.

I was talking ANY back country hunting with wide open spaces, whether goat, sheep, alpine MD, elk, or anything else. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to spend time and money to go on a hunt if I'm making concessions in my gear because I expect to be unsuccessful with the consolation prize being another opportunity to go and waste more time and money when I get drawn for the same tag next year...

If I'm going on a serious hunt with significant preparation, time, and effort involved, I try and make it count EVERY time. If I'm unsuccessful, it's not for a lack of preparation or because I left my ideal gear at home. When hunting in open terrain, I'd much rather be able to see as well as possible than carry an extra 1-2 lbs in crap that probably won't get used.