To be fair I should say they certainly are fun especially on subsonic rounds where they are really quiet. A 300 Blackout bolt action is super cool with it but that one only has a 16" barrel. There is a time and a place for them but on my longer barreled hunting rifles they just are not worth the extra length.

Originally Posted by m77
Apart from noise reduction and recoil reduction, can a suppressor increase accuracy? How does it affect pressure? Does any of you guys use suppressors on your long range guns?

Thanks

Pieter

No increase I accuracy. More often than not they could open up your groups slightly. I'm certain there is always exceptions where the extra mass can really help accuracy. They should have no effect on pressure. To cut sound reaching the animal at long range you can achieve the same effect with a side discharge brake. Most sound is diverted sideways and from the games perspective the sound seems a lot less and from all around. Using a brake we frequently get a lot more follow up shots where before they would bolt at the shot. Even at 100 yards the shot is a lot quieter at the target than without a brake. Suppressors do work better but my long range guns frequently are running a 30" barrel. It just makes them toooooo long.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO