YW, Good to see a few other FL'ers on the fire. I think we are scarce.

I'm currently in the south of south (FL mainland), but really enjoy the keys, too. Grew up on the west coast.

Your main targets are going to include redfish, trout, snook, tarpon, permit, mangrove snapper, and yellowtail snapper.

Depending on the weather, you can go 'inside' or 'outside', and since you're in Brandenton, you know of what I speak. This time of year is tricky down there. Crappy, crispy weather blows up in a hurry.

Suggest you keep a close eye on weather before launching. Slightly chitty weather, good tide... inside. Good weather, good tide, outside... As everyone says, do both, if you can. Also, take a look at the solunar table, if you can. Look for key times during moving tides.

Have waded in fast running tide on the outside above my armpits, same on the inside, and caught fish both ways. After all these years, I prefer the non schit-storm experience.

Last schit-storm kayak experience for me was back on the west coast, around Matlacha. GF and I rented a little house on a canal and I proceeded to fish My azz off out of a kayak I had rented. 35 MPH winds were a bear one day. GF was pizzed, but I nailed a monster speck on the lee side of a shoal island. That 'kinda' made her happy.

Try to match your bait with the native forage of the predators you are seeking. Capt. Hank Brown jigs, flavored soft plastics like Gulp, Yo-Zuri jerk baits or Mirrolures with some Pro-Cure or Lunker Sauce dabbed on in either shrimp, crab, or mullet flavor work well, if you go with artificials. I've used these for years and they are effective.

If you go the live bait route, check with locals to see what is most effective right now.

My favorite spots are around Islamorada, the big bridge, and back country grass flats that are easily accessible from a channel.

And remember, silence is golden whether you're in a 'yak, wading, flats boat, or 24' Open Fisherman.

Best of Luck and have fun! LD

Last edited by local_dirt; 12/26/14. Reason: forgot something

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH