OutdoorAg,

Maybe I just missed it, but did you ever figure out if the front action screw is bottoming out in the action? If it is, then you really need to shorten the screw. It is easy to do, and likely won't void your warranty. I would start by measuring the screw with a caliper, then shorten 20-30 thousandths at a time until you are sure it is not bottoming out. The method used to shorten the screw is not important, as long as you end up with it not bottoming out.

It is also critical that the action screws are not hitting hard against the sides of the hole (pillar?). Make sure the recoil lug is against the mortise in the stock and the screws aren't touching the sides. If you have to open up the holes a bit, I would recommend using a reamer rather than a drill bit. Trying to remove a small amount with a drill bit will result in the bit catching and biting into the hole and screwing it up, if the drill bit doesn't break. A reamer is much smoother and will self-align with the hole more readily than a drill bit. Chances are you won't have to remove a lot from the sides of the hole to get proper clearance. Maybe even a few careful strokes with a samll, fine rattail file would be enough.

I'm with you on holding off bedding the rifle. I would send a new rifle back to the manufacturer before bedding. I too feel like a $1200 rifle should not have to be "fixed", but the reality is they are still a mass-produced rifle, susceptible to all the quality control issues associated with any mass-produced product. Once you are sure the screws are not touching where they shouldn't, if it still does not shoot well, send it back. That's my $.02.

Good luck to you, sir.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.