Here's mine, shot in the exact same spot that I flubbed a shot at a black bear the evening before. I had both bear and elk tags, was watching a feeding field from a blind. Three bears showed up the first evening about 240 yards out. Hit the biggest one a bit too far forward and missed the lungs with a 250 Horn RN .358 from my Whelen. He ran about 1/2 mile north into the forest reserve, no amount of tracking ( even with my dog) could find him in the thick hazel brush. No better success tracking in the morning either. So I sat in the same spot, the same time of the next evening, and three elk showed up. Killed this one very efficiently with a slightly better placed bullet.
My buddy found the bear a few days later, almost completely consumed by wolves. I certainly wasn't proud of losing and wasting a bear, but it was gratifying to be offered the exact same shot a day later ( the elk was standing within a couple feet of the same spot where I hit the bear) and make good.
As it turns out, the bear was one that had chased my buddy for a considerable distance the week before when he was out for a ride on his mountain bike. He was glad it was dead, even if I was kinda conflicted about the whole bear mess.
[Linked Image]