Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Shodd
I thought it noteworthy that there are far fewer documented maulings when pepper spray is used to divert an attack vs a firearm!

Also the statement that was made about Treadwell shoulding have stayed in his tent is a mistake. The single best deterent to a predatory attack is direct and aggressive confrontation. Timoth was a weirdo however he understood bear psychology very well.

My guess is in this instance when he was eaten he slipped up and tried the sweet soft scolding tone he often used when he should have came off with immediate aggression.

One slipup and your eaten!

Shod

Sorry, total bullschit on the pepper spray... And how do they document a non-event? And then calculate a ratio of saves the in non-event arena?

Spray used at great distance is not proof it worked, at all. Most spray success stories are based on anything but real encounters. In my two personal first-hand experiences neither bear was saved by spray, though both were given chances.

Having spent more than a little time around bears I am not impressed by TT's experience or actions and predicted the result.
I'm with Art when it comes to this kind of reporting. I've been very, very close to a whole bunch of bears. Most have ended with everyone walking away, some ended with a skinning job. Can't believe that any of them have been "reported" as stopping a mauling with a firearm--though I can't see how else they could've been classified by anyone keeping records.

I've never sprayed a bear. However, I've used enough pepper spray on two legged victims to know that its efficacy is doubtful in a determined encounter with a man or beast.......

Oh, and as far as TT goes, the outcome was too obvious to be considered a prediction. laugh

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.