I have great respect for Lee.
I have read a good bit on the civil war and still enjoy reading civil war books. I have an old collection of Century Magazines written right after the civil war. A lot of contemporary writing of the day , about Lincoln, Lee, the War etc.

The one thing that i could never understand about Lee was his decision to side with his " beloved" home state of Virginia , when he , in his words was devoted to the keeping the Union whole, he showed little respect for his Revolutionary War Ancestress . His father Light Horse Harry Lee, devoted to the Union and George Washington. Two uncles , signers of the Declaration . And many others, that were Lees' family. His wife , a Custis , part of Washingytons family.
With that, being said, and understanding the great respect and devotion his soldiers had for him, I understand Lee was highly over-rated. His early success was not only due to his ability to lead and his tactfulness, but the bumbling of his Union Army opponents.
He , more too often, made decisions on his "perceived" view of Gods' will.
Overstreet was a far more capable general and Gettysburg may have had a different out come had Lee taken Overstreets advice and lead the Union Army away from Gettysburg and fought the battle in a more advantageous ( for the Northern Virginia Army) place.
However, Lee was eager for a decisive battle and his judgement was poor. It was "Gods will".
As I stated , "I have great respect for Lee" . But he was and is highly-overrated.

Strike the tent.