I read the magazine occasionally, but like a lot these days, sometimes it suffers from lack of common sense on the part of the authors and publishers.

I stopped reading it regularly when they published an article about survuval, specifically what to do if someone gets hypothermia in the backcountry. They advised to start a warming fire, but make sure to use only twigs up to pencil thickness so as not to unduly "damage the environment."

I wrote them a letter, told them this was the stupidest thing I'd read regarding survival (and that's saying something), and that if my partner was truly hypothermic in the backcountry, I'd burn truck tires to re-warm him/her, or whatever else was at hand.

I got no response. They should've not only responded, but corrected that nonsense.

I like mtn house for the evening meal, mainly for convenience but a few are really tasty. After a long day, getting back to camp after dark etc., it's nice to just boil some water, eat, and crash. I normally supplement with olive oil and/or dried sausage.

A wise man is frequently humbled.