4ager:

I'm not a very good cook and I would be lost in the woods without Mountain House, which I buy on-line at a discount. I start backpacking in April and MH gets real old by the end of elk season. Fortunately Mountain House has come out with a couple of new varieties that they call Wraps, which are designed to be placed in tortillas, that you provide in addition to the freeze-dried. Breakfast Skillet and Chicken Fajita Filling are a refreshing improvement. Check them out.

To augment the MH I usually take some Cup-O-Noodles and of course Quaker Fruit & Cream Instant Oatmeal. Don't forget Folgers Coffee Singles, instant cocoa and Tang.

I make burritos by filling tortillas with Mexicali Rose dehydrated refried beans and boil-in-the-bag rice. Feeds two people.

I make a reasonable substitute for biscuits & gravy using bread rolls and a pack of Country Time instant gravy mix with sausage. Feeds two people.

Chicken Casserole - Lipton or Knorr Noodles & Sauce + can of chicken. Feeds two people.

Mac & Cheese - Velveeta Shells & Cheese + can of Ham. Feeds two people.

If you have lots of time you can make pancakes with Bisquik Shake & Pour pancake mix but you have carry a little bottle of syrup.

I collect restaurant packets of margarine which I use for frying fish and to add to the dehydrated stuff when necessary.

You know you don't have to have hot food for every meal. Occasionally I have only beef jerky, sandwich crackers, nuts, dried fruit, GORP, etc.

Recently I tried dehydrated hash browns and also dehydrated potato pancakes. Both tasted pretty good but they take a long time to cook and you need those packets of margarine for frying oil.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.