Thanks for those tips. I'm guessing this was carried in a saddle scabbard, the worst wear on the wood is near the toe where it is chewed up a bit, like a rifle carried upside down with something bouncing against the exposed stock. Plus the most metal finish wear is on the top front of the receiver, like it was rubbed against leather as it was put in and pulled out of a scabbard.

I just met the owner today, he is a neighbor of a friend at work who recommended that I help him sell off his "old guns". He has some well worn Model 12 shotguns and a Remington 760 but when he pulled this one out my eyes lit up, it's something you can recognize from a long way away. The action is solid, the whole rifle is solid - all milled steel and wood. I was almost tempted to make him an offer on it then and there. wink

Here are some more pics just for the heck of it.

[Linked Image]

This is the worst damage to the wood - the rest of the stock and forend maintain the original finish but with the usual knocks and dings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It has some heavy packing grease on the bolt and areas of the exterior. The moving parts of the action show a little wear but with most of the finish loss on the receiver top/front I'm thinking it was carried many miles in a scabbard. It would be fun to hear about all the places that rifle has been. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!