As regards the condition of your rifle's receiver, the bluing process that Winchester used during the time your rifle was manufactured was not known to hold up very well. It would do what Winchester collectors call flake off, judging from the condition of the rest of your rifle I would say this is the reason why a lot of the receiver has a patina finish rather than the same blue the barrel has. I have owned several M/95's over the years and it is an exception to find one with a high percentage of blue on the receiver. I agree with what tmitch says regarding the Lyman 21/38 (climbin Lyman) sight, however don't let anyone beat you up about the Redfield sight. While it did require two tapped holes to be drilled, the 21/38 required a hole to be drilled to mount it. There are collectors out there that do not look down there noses at the addition of a vintage sight. After all it was a hunting rifle, the addition of the receiver sight improved the sight radius making the rifle easier to shoot accurately more so than with the barrel mounted sight.