Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I'd like to tap into the vast Campfire knowledge base with a question about Hemingway's book "Green Hills of Africa".

This book isn't fiction so I wonder if it's worth my time.
Thanks Gang...

It is well worth your read, and it is especially valuable to read it before you read Ruark's Horn of the Hunter.

Hemingway set up the safari with Phillip Percival, who is arguably the Dean of the East African professional hunters. He was Harry Selby's mentor and passed his native staff on to Selby when he retired. Some of these same staff members were on Ruark's first safari some 20 years later.

Percival, given the nickname POP had to deal with EH's hyper competitiveness and moodiness. "Momma" was EH's 2nd wife Pauline Pfiffer. Charles Thompson (Karl) was Hemingway's companion, and close friend from Key West. Thompson owned the cannery there.

Hemingway always weaves the themes of bravery, cowardice, jealously, etc., into his stuff, and there is plenty of it here. He got a good lecture from Percival when he started to brood and steam about the fact that Thompson was getting the better trophies.

The story is more or less very factual with little made up. It is a DEFINITE read for all those into Africa and safari. I'd tell anyone to read this as the first and Horn of the Hunter next. After that, you'll book your own safari. I did!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo