4ager:

I've been using sleeping bags for over sixty years. No bullshit, sixty+ years. All types. I've never gotten a down bag so wet that it wouldn't insulate. I have gotten one wet when I slipped and fell while crossing a creek. I've gotten a few damp when moisture condensed on the walls of a single-wall tent and it dripped onto my sleeping bag. They will dry out if opened up inside a tent.

I'm too old to be macho and carry a heavy backpack. So I go as lightweight as I can that means a down sleeping bag. I use a Western Mountaineering Antelope bag rated at 5°. There have been times when I wished that this bag was a little warmer so a WM Kodiak rated at 0° might be better.

I also use a Western Mountaineering Alpinlite bag rated at 20°. You know I use the 20° bag in the summer and a lot of the time I don't zip it up and just lay it over me like a blanket. Maybe a quilt might be better for that situation and it might weigh less.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.