Originally Posted by 4winds
Ive crippled my rifle looney brain lately wanting a walkabout stalking woods rifle under 6lb weight with a 2.5 fixed or 4x fixed on top for killing anything crossing my path. Said critters will be no larger than a black bear. All of this under 300 yards and mostly less than 200.

Suggestions for a poor fellow looney in need?

By your later posts, sounds like money would be no object to get what you want, and it further sounds like you already know which rifle you like best.

If talking fairly inexpensive out the box that is a turn key top performer, I use a 243 Sako A7 as a lightweight walkabout varmint rig. Mine is a first generation, and though they spec'd at just over 6-lbs out the box, mine, as well as several others that I weighed, came in lighter. Mine shoots factory loads into bug hole groups and the balance is perfection. I have a need to change scopes and to use a quick release mount for my pro light system, but otherwise if wanting to run a 2.5 or 4x scope, I'd use Talley lightweights and get rid off all the extra stuff I have on the rifle in the pic.

What would be most important to me, is fit in feel of the rifle reference my personal needs and wants. Just like boots and backpacks, what fits me may not fit you. For me, I've formed the opinion that the Sako engineers must use my identical twin when designing rifle ergos and dimensions. It is very easy for me to pick up their product straight from the box because the dimensions are pretty close to what they'd be if custom fit. For you, maybe that fit would be with the Kimber.

I chose 243 over 223 because in many locations I hunt, the 223 would be illegal for hunting medium and big game. With the 243 I can transitions from varmint to big game without any legal issues and accurate ammo is abundant to be found most anywhere I'd buy supplies. I handload, but numerous factory loads from numerous manufacturers can be found that shoot nearly as accurate, if not as accurate, as good handloads. When I bought my rifle, I believe they were on sale for under $500 bucks. They were actually about the same price as a Tikka because they were making room for the second generation A7. It is very easy to shoot extremely well from off a bench and from field positions. Great rifle to carry many miles yet extremely accurate to shoot inside 300 yards as it it were a heavy varmint rig.

Good Luck smile

[Linked Image]

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood