Originally Posted by Brad
I've climbed Washington, Madison, Adams, Jefferson a number of times in winter. They're simple climbs, just crampons and ice axe. -15*F without windchill was not uncommon. Have been in some pretty good winds and storms up there.

HOWEVER, I would never have broached treeline with 100 mph winds @ -30*F... if the wind is 100 mph when you hit treeline and you don't turn back you're completely without the skills to have been there in the first place.

Spunk is one thing and I always admire that, but I'd say she was absolutely out of her depth to make the decision she did.

Agreed, and that's no insult to her. I'm no "experienced" camper in that stuff, but I do know very well what -30 ambient and -70 or greater windchill is like. You can't make a mistake. You just don't have the margin for error or the time/ability to make amends.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.