Currently, I own five big game rifles that feel like they were "built for me." As fate would have it, I had to build three of them, and, oddly enough, I found one already custom built for someone else.
I don't recommend building a "dream rifle," if you can help it. I did that three times. They cost me alot of money. Two of them, I ended up having the metal work redone to save weight. The other, I ended up changing a few things and correcting a few things that were not done as they should have been done. But, in the end, I did get complete satisfaction.
My 5th big game rifle is not a full custom. But it is now on it's 3rd stock. Both of the custom stocks cost me almost as much as the original rifle did. It has also had three scopes as well to get it "just right."
Last of all, the one wildcat chambered rifle I had built is now up for sale. Why ? Because it no longer meets my needs. When I no longwer ahve any real use for a rifle, I sell it. I am not getting anything like the money I put into it, BTW.
So, my advice to anyone who wants to know is find a factory rifle you like the feel of. It should handle and carry like it was made for you. Keep in mind that stocks can be adjusted for lenth of pull which can help alot. Ruger's Gunsight Scout, their Guide Gun and a couple of their Hawlkeye Predator Rifles come with adjustable stocks. That's a good place to start.
Keep also in mind that where and how the rifle's scope is mounted also goes a long way in how well the rifle handles, particularly when one is in a hurry to shoot. So don't be afraid to try different ring heights and the scope positions, fore and aft, in those rings.
Any rifle needs a good trigger. Rifles used for precision shooting need the very best. Keep that in mind as well.
On top of all the above, the rifle needs to work when you really need it to. Some simple modifications can do wonders for actions like the Remington 700.
So, good luck on your search. I've been buying and selling rifles for a mere 52 yrs. I'm about to do it again as a matter of fact. E