I know there have been quite a few questions about 404 Jeff's projects and gunsmiths. I have gone through most of them and learned quite a bit. But I still have some questions. I have spoken to or emailed 5 barrel makers and gunsmiths and often get wildly different answers. Just looking for more opinions and trying find a general trend.

Basics of the project.

I have a pair of Sako High Powers based on commercial FN actions. Both are chambered in 300 H&H. One is going to be refurbished and remain a 300 H&H and the other will become a donor for the 404 Jeff project. I understand the conversion will involve work with the bottom metal, feed ramp, magazine box, rails etc along with the barrel and chamber. It seems like we live in a fortunate time and there are many excellent gun smiths and barrel makers out there. More options are not always helpful to decision making! I am not looking to have piece of art made.

Questions:
1. Thoughts on the FN action as a donor? Any pitfalls?
2. Should I find a single smith/company to manage the entire project or have different smiths/company's do the action work and then the barrel work?
3. Recommendations for the work?
4. Integral quarter ribs, sight bases and barrel bands or added to the barrel?
5. Both have Sako triggers and seem just fine. Keep or replace the triggers?

I have more questions but they really need to be answered by the person doing the work.

Thanks,

Scott