OK, so when I was a kid, my dad and I cast round balls for muzzleloader, bullets for various handguns and rifles, and even fishing lures. I think he stopped casting somewhere around the time I turned 10 or 11, give or take. I'll be the big 4-0 later this year.

So....getting more into flintlock shooting, I came back to casting lead. I've secured an old Saeco (made by Lyman) pot, and through local sources, I managed to get 270-ish pounds of what appears to be extremely soft lead in 45lb (+/-) bars. Also, a buddy of mine runs an auto repair/exhaust/tire shop. He has about 100lbs of wheel weights I can have for the taking, plus whatever he accumulates going forward I can have as well.

So here are some questions I have, as youtube and interweb research has given me somewhat of a start.

1- The wheel weights....what I've been able to read on the topic is to expect about 50-75% of the weight of the heap of wheel weights to be actual useful lead. YouTube vids show folks simply throwing a heap of them in an old pot over a heat source, and letting the lead start to melt. The zinc weights and steel clips/weights float on the lead and can be pulled out with tongs. Is that all there is to it? Seems pretty straight forward, just looking for a "reality check".

2- The lead bars.... They are fairly large in size. I had figured I'd need a chisel to cut them into more manageable chunks. Any other suggestions on how to take them apart?

3- Ingot molds....necessary to use an actual ingot mold, or are the guys using corn pone/muffin pans onto something? Just worried the molten lead won't release from the pans.

4- Respirators? I get the need to do this work outside (I would only be able to work in my basement in my current house, and I don't think that's a great idea), but some on the 'Net are saying a lead-rated respirator is necessary and/or a good idea.

5- Heat sources....I figured I'd use the side-burner on my gas grill for now. Some say old hot plates get hot enough. I was pretty surprised to hear that. Anyone else using them? I'd like to not burn up my gas grill propane if I can avoid it, just because it's a PITA to go refill them.

Thanks!