Dad and I have never gotten along all that well, in large part I think because am a lot like his brother, and they couldn't stand then or now to be in the same room together more than 5min (there's a Steelhead cuckhold joke in there am sure). None the less, he did introduce me to guns and taught me a bit though he's not a big gun guy nor any patience for hunting aside from walking for squirrels once upon a time.

He did mention a few times, and longingly, while teaching me how as a boy he thought a neighbor farm kids Stevens 22-410 was the neatest gun ever. It's thirty-some years later and last spring I found one, restored it, and gave it to him last week complete with a cleaning kit and some ammo. My parents are retired on the property he grew up on and first encountered that 22-410.

He called to say thanks and he'd wait to try it out until spring because he was afraid the old gun would "explode" due to the cold up there (wisconsin). Coincidentally, spoke with his brother/my uncle that day by email, and my dad had grumbled something to him about "no need for guns".

So, hey, what can you do. Hopefully he enjoyed the sentiment at least. Maybe someday I'll get to hunt that little rifle for him, I dunno.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.