Originally Posted by Joel/AK

Eyesight and smell, how good are they?

If turkeys could smell, you'd never get one! lol. Not kidding!

Originally Posted by Joel/AK

Eyesight and smell, how good are they?During the month of Jan, we were seeing anywhere from 20-50 turkey at a time. Feb they broke off into 2 groups (hens and toms) come end of April, do the toms go single or are they still grouped up? What kind of terrain do they prefer in spring?

The turkeys will be in smaller groups in a few weeks. They'll still roost together for the most part though. You'll find anywhere from 0 to sometimes 3-5 Toms roosting with the hens.

If you find a tom with no hens, and have him roosted... HUNT THERE!

But generally, if you can "put him to bed," which means you hear a tom gobbling at night, get as close as you dare to him. I like to be 200yds or closer if I can. I've found they like to roost where the gobbles can be heard for long ways. So up on ridges and near openings, fields, swamps, etc.

My best spot is on a ridge with a swamp and a hay field at the base. It's about 300yds from the top of the hill to the bottom.

The two areas they roost in the morning the most in our area are big Oak ridges. There is also an area that has a Red Pine plantation that holds a gobbler as well.

Get out and scout now, if you can. It may take you a year or two to figure out the birds routes.

Go check the ridges and woods openings for feathers and droppings. If there are plenty of both, you probably found a roosting site. Check the ground for scratchings, like a deer scrape, but smaller. That's where they're in there scooping up seeds and acorns.

Don't forget to check that swamp area either. Especially if it's by a ridge or roosting site.

Go scout and get back to us!

Good luck!

Camp is where you make it.