I think the gun companies are poor examples for either side of this argument.

Winchester is not a gun manufacturing company to my knowledge. It is a trademark owned by OLIN corp that sells its liscencing rights. It was a giant that was based on profits from massive government contracts from the time of the first world war until the M-14 program was cancelled around 1967. i don't think its a coincidence that the post 64 quality went down once uncle sam stopped sending them checks. They also suffered from competition from Remington who came out with the 870 and 700 at a more competitive price. They understood the consumer market(better management) I do believe that US repeating arms company had very high labor costs, this was partly due to the company and the union ignoring reality when negotiating. they had a fair share of labor problems but also a lot of pizz poor management.

It is interesting that the company that does manufacture or import the guns that bear that name and the Browning name as well once produced high quality Mausers for the third reicht. They also have taken a lot of business from another troubled yet iconic american gun company Colt. This is another example of depending on huge military contracts to support the business. They (Colt)have also had labor problems and I'm sure they would say they have high labor costs too. They(Colt) have definitely had poor management and bad public relations that haven't helped either.

As one of the largest manufacturers of military small arms on the planet I would guess FN has plenty of union help as well.

Remington was mentioned and the parent company there probably did move to SC to save money. Cerebus would whore out there collective mothers to show a profit and they will (and have) ruined most any company they have owned. Read some of the posts on this forum about the high quality guns that have been produced since they took over. Marlin is in this boat too, its too bad, good people making great guns, both the company and the workers will lose here I bet.

Lets see how good Beretta fairs if they lose the M9 contract. It won't matter if they have a union or not when uncle sam (sugar) stops sending the checks it will be back to really nice shotguns from the worlds oldest arms maker.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but the firearms industry is the poorest example of labor business relations due to many issues. If you want to use a better example pick on the auto industry.

Last edited by sporter22; 03/04/15.