Here is another very memorable hunt. This time it was the day dad declared war on the whitetail deer.

It was the first day of season and we were hunting on a dear friend's property in Ashe County NC. We arrived just before daylight and hiked in slowly just as the gray dawn was breaking.

We arrived at my hunting spot first so I dropped off and got into position while dad went on up the ridge toward his back of the Holler haunt. I remember looking at my watch and it was 7:20 AM.

Dad had no more than passed out of sight near the top of the ridge when all Hell broke loose.

One shot went off then another followed by a third. I was beginning to wonder if he had walked up on some redneck's moonshine operation and a firefight had broken out.

I waited about ten minutes and then started up to where dad was at.

When I got there I found this:

[Linked Image]

Dad had bumped into these two does on the way up to his hunting spot. His first shot had hit a limb and the second one killed the bigger doe. Shot three took the smaller one.

After the picture taking session I told dad to relax while I went back to the truck for the big meat pack. Its about a mile down off the ridge and when I was about 250 yards from the truck a big BOOOM! echoed down from the Holler.

I retrieved the meat pack, stowed my rifle, strapped on my Browning HP and hiked back up the 8% grade to where dad was.

This is what I found when I got back:

[Linked Image]

Dad had caught this rascal slipping around the far side of the Holler across from where he had killed the does and put him down with a 175 yard shot into the neck area.

By the time we got all the deer dressed and packed out I had made four trips up and down that steep ridge and had got to hunt all of ten minutes. That was rough on a fat man like me. smile

Oh, the rifle he used was a SIG SHR 970 topped with a B&L 3000 3-9 x40 slinging the Federal Premium factory load with the 130 grain Sierra BTSP.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.