Originally Posted by roundoak
I was in my Junior year of high school and we had finished up picking corn just before the start of the Wisconsin November gun season. Granddad, Dad, his brothers and my brother and I were all prepared to make the trip to northern Wisconsin to hunt out of Granddad's cabin. A neighbor was going to milk and do chores while we were gone, but slipped and fell on a patch of ice and broke his leg.

Dad didn't trust anyone else to work so said he would stay home. Dad was a hard worker and always put the family first. He loved that time in the north woods hunting with family members. I slept on that decision and it didn't set right with me.

After I finished up my chores I went to the house for breakfast. I told Mom how I felt about Dad's bad luck and said I wanted to stay home so he could go. Mom said she couldn't take time off from her job, but would help the best she could. Brother said he would stay home, too and Lil' Sis said she would help. I told my brother to go because he might not get many more chances to hunt with Granddad.

Dad came in the kitchen door, saw us sitting there with big smiles on our faces, paused for a moment and then asked what was going on. To this day I will never forget the look on Dad's face.

I hunted with some high school buddies for a couple days, but didn't have any luck. Friday after Thanksgiving day there was no school so had plans to meet up with some buddies after morning chores to hunt. While milking our dog was barking so I looked out the barn door and saw 4 deer off in the distance moving across a picked corn field between two wood lots.

Finished milking, turned the cows out, scraped the aisle and stanchion platform, backed the manure spreader in place and ran the barn cleaner. I had deer on my mind now, pulled the tractor and spreader into the door yard and grabbed my Savage 99 250-3000.

Spread the manure load, stopped and began banging on something with pry bar, (don't remember, the tines or apron chain)looked up to see a 10 point buck standing at the edge of the woods with three does. Slowly, moved to the tractor, uncased the gun, went around to the front of the tractor, deer were still staring at me, knelt down and placed a hand hold on the suitcase weights, sent a 87 grain Hornady down the tube. Deer disappeared.

Found the buck about 25 paces inside of the woods. Wrestled the buck onto the spreader tongue and tied him down with some baler twine.

Had a great story to tell the returning deer hunters.

Great story

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.