LOL, we have walking staffs in AK, and often forget them... and 30 minutes out realize it and cut small dead spruce... doesn't look good, but I'm figuring mostly if anyone else sees us, we ain't huntin right...

I'm with you on the internet not changing your hunting, depending on what you use it for. Wondering how a cell phone would hurt you? They have made my family more comfortable etc... just like SPOT and Epirbs have.[/quote]

The cell phone would compromise the essence of my hunt. I go out expecting to have no contact and I like it that way. The cell phone might provide a safety net but it's a net I don't necessarily want. I have had people suggest that as I age, I should maybe have a means to call for help if I get in trouble. My reply has always been, "If I get in trouble, I have a problem and will have to figure a way out".
dan oz mentioned one other item I do appreciate, the LED flashlight (only he called it a torch). I appreciate the LED lights. I can have enough light to read by and the batteries will last a while. So there you go; my vote is for the LED light! GD